Friday, February 13, 2009

Spaghetti Soup

Here it is, just like I promised, the recipe for Spaghetti Soup:

Spaghetti Soup

1 lb. hamburger
1 small onion
1 green pepper
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
2 cloves garlic, minced

Chop vegetables and saute them with hamburger and a little olive oil. Drain the grease, place them in a pot and add:
2 1/2 cups water
2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
1 15oz jar spaghetti sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or oregano)
dash salt
1/4 teas. pepper
dash crushed red pepper

Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Add about 2oz spaghetti noodles and simmer until pasta is tender. Serve with parmesan cheese.

Kate and I always always use Prego Ricotta Parmesan spaghetti sauce, because it's the best there is. We typically double (or triple!) the recipe, which is convenient since the spaghetti sauce comes in 32oz jars, and it is very convenient to reheat at school or work. I typically add more crushed red peppers because I like the heat, and we both smother it in parmesan cheese.

I don’t know what this recipe was originally called, but my mom got it out of a magazine forever ago, and we just call it spaghetti soup. The nice thing about soups, and this one in particular, is that they’re inexpensive, easy to make, and easy to store and reheat. This is probably Kate’s and my favorite meal to make, and even a triple recipe doesn’t last us long. I even made this last week in the trailer I’m working in on site where they’re drilling the oil well.

If you make it, be sure to leave feedback!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

blogging 3 days in a row...crazy! I'll have to try the soup. It sounds pretty good. annelise

Professor Chaos said...

Ha, it's good to hear from you, Annelise! Yeah, I'm a regular blogging fiend. Making up for all those lazy weeks with one or fewer posts....

You very well may have tried the soup before. I know I've made it and brought the leftovers to school before, and I know I've shared. I don't remember if you had any or not, but it's quite possible.

Anonymous said...

I only ate the leftovers when you were tired of eating the same enchiladas for a week straight. I think you made it for a geology party of some sort--the potato bar/chili cook-off maybe?

Have fun your last days of being a mudlogger-in-training. Oh, and Dr. Clayton was hired on for some modeling for the project I'm working on, so he and I are now drawing some cross-sections of the area. Funny how we're working together on these and how quickly I can draw them. And because it's business, I have to call him Robert...that's going to be weird getting used to.

DANG! Even though I'm not hungry, soup always sounds good. I'll really have to make it soon.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with you on a couple movie ratings. Pursuit of Happyness, Get Smart and Ironman were all really good! I still have to see a few on my list that you mentioned. I liked Timeline a lot, but I still have to read Sphere and I watched Borne Identity last weekend and I can't get over how nice that movie was; I've been waiting not too patiently to watch the other two.

Professor Chaos said...

Oh, yeah, the enchiladas! That's what happens when Kate and I make a double batch of a recipe we haven't tried before, and she decides she doesn't like it. I'm glad I didn't have to toss that when I was sick of it. And I forgot we took the soup to the geology thing.

You finally watched Bourne Identity! Now you can watch it in German. The series only gets better as it goes!

Have fun working with Robert.