Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mango Salsa

Well, I've finished my first round of major homework projects, but I spent so much time on those that I'm behind on an endless list of little things for other classes. Because of this, I haven't blogged in awhile, despite having dozens of things I'd like to post. Meanwhile, I've got something quick to share that I've been meaning to do for awhile. My friend Rebekah frequently shares recipes she recommends, and I've been wanting to do the same as Kate and I try new recipes. I made salsa for the Geology Society social a couple weeks ago (right before leaving for Laramie), and it was a big hit; so I promised I'd put the recipe on the blog.  This is a recipe I came up with from scratch a few years ago, and it's super-secret, so you'll never decipher it:
Dan’s Extra-Good Salsa

20-25 Roma tomatoes
2 small onions
2 green bell peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
6-8 jalapeño peppers
At least 1 habañero pepper
1 large mango
1 16-20 oz can crushed pineapple
Juice from 1-2 limes

Remove seeds and juice from tomatoes and chop. Chop onions and bell peppers and add to tomatoes. Dice jalapeños very finely and add to salsa. Peel the mango, dice as finely as possible (almost a paste) and add to salsa. Drain pineapple and add, and squeeze lime juice into salsa.

Salsa will be very mild. To add heat, add habañeros to taste. To spread heat evenly through salsa, they should be chopped as finely as possible, using a food processor if you can’t get them fine enough with a knife. For “mild” salsa I add one habañero; “medium” gets two, “hot” gets three or four. One habañero goes a long way.
This recipe will make one gallon of salsa, which isn't as much as it sounds like. It goes fast, which is good because it will only last a couple weeks in the fridge. It is best after it has chilled overnight. Enjoy!

I will add more recipes in the future, and will make a tab on the right side of the blog to keep them in.

No comments: