Thursday, May 22, 2008

Iceland

Ok, so it's been over a month since I've posted, and there have been about a dozen things I've thought "I should type that up and post it," but it never happened.  For one thing, I want to review the movie "Children of Men," which might be my new favorite of all time.  That'll come later.  For now I want to share these pictures I found of Iceland.  For a long time now, Iceland has been on the top of my list of places to visit (and not just because of Emilíana Torrini, Björk or Sígur Ros, but for the scenery), and seeing these pictures just makes me want to pack my bags right now and never come back.  The photographer is Arnar Valdimarsson.  First, some pictures of the Aurora Borealis in Iceland:









And here is some amazing columnar jointing in basalt:






And some other pictures of Iceland:






These small versions don't nearly do it justice.  Check out the full-size version at here, along with other great photos.

1 comment:

Rebekah Wood said...

Holy Cow! I have NEVER seen such amazing columnar joints! Those were perfect! I would really like to visit Iceland, too. It looks like a bit of heaven on earth.