Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dead Heroes and Exercise


Tony Snow's funeral was today, which is very sad. Most of you reading probably don't follow politics as much as I do, so in case you don't know, Tony Snow was a conservative journalist who was a frequent guest host on Rush Limbaugh's radio show, and served for awhile as Bush's press secretary. Since conservatism has basically died in the Republican party, it's very sad to lose a real conservative, especially one so optimistic as Tony Snow. This guy was always smiling, and the press hated him because he didn't let them get away with anything. President Bush said "He had the sometimes challenging distinction of working for two presidents named Bush. As a speechwriter in my dad's administration, Tony tried to translate the president's policies into English. As a spokesman in my administration, Tony tried to translate my English into English.”  Too true.

It seems a lot of my heroes have died this year.  William F. Buckley, another great conservative (he founded the conservative magazine "National Review"), Charlton Heston, George Carlin and Gordon B. Hinckley all died this year.  It's a good thing Rush Limbaugh just extended his radio contract through 2016, we need more strong voices like his.

Sorry, I don't mean to be depressing, I'll talk about something else now.

Tomorrow is the last day of the Summer Semester, which means I have one more year until Field Camp, and probably one more semester after that before I graduate with my geology B.S. degree (hehe, I can't say B.S. degree without laughing).  What I've done on my research project so far this summer has made me realize just how out of shape I am, which is bad news if I'm looking forward to six weeks of hiking next year.  So, I'm cutting back a bit on Pepsi (not quitting, never that!), and since it's way too hot to walk (I know it'll be hot next summer, too) Kate and I have decided it's time to take advantage of the gym in the apartment complex.

I've made two observations: First, they don't make a treadmill long enough for my stride, and no matter how far forward I am I end up knocking my feet on the back of the thing (but at least there's air conditioning in there).  Second, the trick to the weight-lifting machines is to use them with just a little bit of weight, but before you leave set all the pins so that the next person to use the machine thinks "wow, whoever used this last is, like, super strong!"

If you get a beer belly from drinking too much beer, how do you get a pot belly?  However it happens, hopefully mine will go away.

3 comments:

The Great Hace said...

It hurts somewhere me somewhere near my liver to try to understand somebody can hold both Rush Limbaugh, Tony Snow, and George Carlin is esteem at the same time.
I am guessing you are drawn to the nature of their personalities, rather than their personas.

Professor Chaos said...

I assume that the place near your liver that you're talking about is your gall bladder. I hope you get over your indigestion soon.

Please explain what you mean by "nature of their personalities, rather than their personas." I'm not sure you fully understand either of those words.

One reason I like them all is because none of them took shit from anybody. (I say this in past tense, but of course Limbaugh will still be with us for quite some time). Of course I disagreed with quite a lot of Carlin's politics, but he was a very funny man, with good insights. Plus he played Rufus in Bill & Ted, so what's not to love? Limbaugh, of course, is like a breath of fresh air; after all the crap I hear from the rest of the media, it's nice to know someone is sane, and thinks like I do. Same with Tony Snow, he was an excellent press secretary, and like Limbaugh, constantly optimistic.

Does that explain it well enough?

Also, I'm flattered that you noticed my blog and read at least one post, but I have no idea who you are. So.... who are you?

The Great Hace said...

I think I hit the nail on the head. You indeed are attracted to their personalities, the, "Don't take shit from nobody attitude" fits the description of personality.
This is especially the point considering you liked George Carlin as somebody who didn't take shit, though you disagreed with politics and philosophy.

Explanation: Crystal Clear. Thank you. It was as I assumed.

I have read your blog. I came here looking for geology stuff, (it would appear we have a shared interest). I think you are a smart and funny guy.

Sorry if I offend.