Monday, May 31, 2010

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fact: Bears eat beets.

So, thanks to Netflix, I can finally do something I've wanted to do for a very long time: Find out what's the deal with Battlestar Galactica. I remember it being on TV a few times when I was very little, but I never watched. Of course it's mentioned on The Office all the time, but also I have several friends who are very in to the re-imagined version of the show. I've read some very interesting bits online comparing the shows, and am curious to see how they really compare, and I'll blog my opinion when I've watched both series. As always, my opinion is correct and definitive, and so all others must comply.

Speaking of comparisons, whenever I see Lieutenant Starbuck (I'm currently halfway through the original 1978 version; I hear he gets a sex change sometime between then and now), I can't help but think of Lone Starr from Spaceballs.

"I'm Starbuck. I'm so cool."


"So, Lone Starr, now you see that Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb."

Of course, then I think of Starbucks.



I'll leave you with this. I can't get enough of the theme music. It's classic! Such a great fanfare and anthem, so inspirational. I've liked this music ever since one of the first CDs my family ever bought over fifteen years ago was a collection of sci-fi themes (yes, nerdy, I know, but good music anyway). It's odd that it's taken me so long to start watching a show I've loved the music for so long.

3 comments:

David Little said...

The actor for Lt. Starbuck is also a lieutenant from the A-Team. There's another series you have to watch. Liz is trying to convince me to buy the whole series on DVD right now. He's actually our least favorite character in the A-Team, but still has good stuff from time to time. He's the impersonating con-man and ladies man guy.

Anonymous said...

This video clip is my first encounter with Battlestar Galactica-it looks like a Star Wars wannabe, or is this pre-Star Wars?

Professor Chaos said...

Scott, this show followed on the heels of Star Wars, and received much criticism for looking so Star Warsy. It's a skin-deep thing, though. The episodes bear more resemblance to the original Star Trek, in that they encounter a new planet and show the people that they live in a backwards society and don't have to suffer under oppression or whatever. Also, each planet's society looks just like a famous civilization from Earth's past, i.e. "Wild West Planet", or "Ancient Greece Planet, but with Egyptian Pyramids". The art director in charge of making sets probably thought "The future will look like today or any historical time, except made of plastic and metal, with Christmas lights." There's a lot of LDS doctrine "subtly" interwoven into the culture, too... I found the three-part pilot quite compelling, but much of the rest of the show devolves into silliness with occasional flashes of brilliance.