Thursday, June 19, 2008

Quick Follow-Up, More Iceland, and Dog Food


For a quick follow-up to my Wal-Mart post the yesterday, please read this short
article.  I meant to include this before, to give more of a positive note to my rant, but I forgot.  It's an inspiring story, and illustrates why even in the best of intentions government should stand back and not interfere if at all possible, since no government can ever be as efficient as private industry.


You all know already how much I really want to visit Iceland, and I'm sorry to say you haven't heard the last of it yet.  I was reading the other day and found out that the record high temperature in Iceland was 86.9°F, on June 22, 1939.  Even better, in Reykjavik, the average high in July is 55°, and the average low in January is 27°.  I don't think there's any climate better tailored to my exact tastes.  Of course, you guys don't really care and think I'm crazy anyway, so I'll give you a pretty picture to look at:

This was taken from a NASA satellite on January 28, 2004.


Totally off-topic, here's a random thought:  Why do they always brag about the flavor, in highly descriptive terms, of dog food in commercials?  Dogs don't speak English, and don't know a dog food commercial when they see one, even if they were interested in TV.  Guess what?  This is really obvious, but I find it hilarious:  You can't market dog food to dogs, you have to market it to people.  So if people don't find dog food commercials appetizing, they won't buy delicious beef flavored dog food for their dog.  Think about it next time you see a commercial for Purina or whatever:  they're ringing a bell, and you're the one who's supposed to start salivating.  Not your dog. Subliminable?  I think so.

No comments: