Saturday, December 13, 2008

School is Out!

I made it through this semester.... barely! I finished Intro to GIS okay. I did alright with Structural Geology. Stratigraphy/Sedimentology finished me. But it's all good now!

Thursday night was the annual geology faculty Christmas dinner, and I was asked to put together a music program for it. My brother and I both play the Trombone, and my dad does, too, though he hasn't for about 25 years or so. So I put together a short, simple Christmas program consisting of mostly Trombone trios: Personent Hodie, The Coventry Carol, Bogoro Ditse Devo (a Russian song by Rachmaninov), What's This? (from The Nightmare Before Christmas, the best musical ever, I played this as a Trombone solo) and finally O Come, O Come Immanuel. It was a lot of fun, and turned out really well. Also there was good free food.

Another highlight of the semester was at the end of my GIS class, when the end result of a particular map project turned out rather interesting. Our last lab was to complete some of the official "training modules," essentially tutorials, on the official website of ESRI, the company that makes ArcGIS. The final map we had to put together in the first module was of drainage patterns in south Florida Bay. I'm posting the resulting image below. It's nothing bad, just the southern tip of Florida and the Keys, with a border showing the limits of water drainage; but I'm posting a very tiny thumbnail because it grosses some people out apparently. I don't know why. Right-click on it and open in a new window if you want to see the interestingness of this map.


This next week will be a lot of fun. Early tomorrow morning I am flying down to New Orleans with my geology friends Tyson, Dan (from Canadia, we call him Canadidan), Clint and Annelise. Shell Oil is hosting a week-long Drilling and Production Camp, which is basically a more detailed, expanded version of the short course they taught at the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous last September. The event should be a lot of fun as well as informative, plus I've never been that far south before. I'm looking forward to seeing New Orleans, and hopefully I'll get to eat something interesting, like alligator, while I'm there. I'll try to take lots of pictures.


Meanwhile, I've been "tagged" by Rebekah, so I'm going to fill out one of those surveys. I'm not going to tag anyone else, though. Here it is:

Four jobs I have had:
1. Teacher's Assistant at BYU-Idaho
2. Assistant Manager at Gandolfo's Deli in Rexburg, ID
3. Bookseller at Barnes & Noble in Springfield, MO
4. Stockroom guy at Target in Orem, UT

Four movies I have seen more than once:
1. Children of Men
2. Fight Club
3. Serenity
4. Back to the Future

Four places I have lived:
1. Boulder, Colorado
2. Rolla, Missouri
3. Springfield, Missouri
4. Rexburg, Idaho

Four TV shows I watch:
1. The Office
2. The Venture Bros.
3. Metalocalypse
4. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Four favorite places I have been:
1. Smithsonian Air & Space museum in Washington, DC
2. Yellowstone National Park
3. Boulder, Colorado
4. Dan's Bake Sale. Yep, I was there. Heard Rush Limbaugh speak and everything.

Four of my favorite foods:
1. Steak
2. Pizza
3. Macaroni & Cheese
4. Chili

Four places I would like to visit
1. Iceland.  Duh.
2. The Alps
3. New Zealand
4. Alaska

Four things I am looking forward to in the coming year:
1. My internship with GeoSearch Logging (not logging trees, logging wells looking for oil).
2. Field Camp.
3. Possibly graduating at the end of the year.
4. The next Harry Potter movie, the one that was supposed to come out this year but Twilight did instead.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Dan, I might be getting back into blogging. How did you change your playlist format to fit so nicely? Hope you had fun down south.

Professor Chaos said...

Cool! If you start blogging again, I'll put a link to your blog back in my list of links; I took it off since your blog only had two posts in about a year!

Here's the trick. Go to your blog layout editor, and click on the box that is your playlist. Click on "Edit HTML." Find in the HTML code where it says something like this:

mywidth=300&myheight=420&

This sets the size of the box your playlist goes in, but it doesn't scale the picture you put in the background if you choose to do that. The numbers above make my playlist 300x420 pixels, which I came up with through trial and error. I think that's all I did, if it doesn't work let me know and I'll figure it out. The reason I did this was so that if someone wanted to turn off the music they didn't have to scroll to the bottom of the page, though the only good reason to do that is if I posted a video and someone wanted to watch that ;)