Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Panoramic Photos

Well, I'm very busy trying to keep my head above water getting caught up on all the homework that accumulated while I prepared the poster I presented in Laramie, Wyoming, and while I was gone on the trip to Wyoming. I really will write up a summary of the trip, but first I want to at least finish my field notebook for my pre-semester field trip, which is due tomorrow but won't be done on time. I do have something, though, that's just too cool not to post now, which is a pair of panoramic photos. I took a short break from homework today to stitch the photos together, and it was surprisingly easy: I clicked "New Panorama" in Photoshop Elements and selected my photos, and was done. That's it. I've taken many photos intending to stitch them into panoramas, but this is the first time I've ever actually done it. So here they are, two panoramic photos from my field trip in Wyoming:


Click on them to see the full-sized images. For space reasons on Blogger, these are lower resolution than the original files, but still quite good; I have the sharper full-resolution images for anyone who might want them.

For those of you reading this interested in the geology, these are cretaceous fluvial systems in the Hanna Basin in Wyoming. The first panorama is the Ferris Formation, and up close you can see individual channels of the meandering stream system. The striking thing to me about this place is that the beds have been tilted completely vertical. The view at both ends of the picture is on strike with the unit. The second panorama is the Pine Ridge Sandstone, and if you zoom in you can see near the left some spectacular lateral accretion surfaces, and just next to them on the right a channel form. This is about as good as it gets for seeing these features in an outcrop.

I have more pictures coming, plus more info, but that's about all I can justify typing now. I need some sleep.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Hey I have some panorama pictures I need to post too! I like yours. I like the big sky in the second one a lot.

Professor Chaos said...

Isn't Photoshop amazing? It was almost as cool as the photo itself just to watch as Photoshop put it together. Even on Windows (I don't have Photoshop on my Mac) it only took one click. Unlike ArcGIS, in which after 30 minutes I still don't know how to delete an object.