Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Music

A couple days ago I finally finished setting up a really great playlist for my blog. If you recall awhile back I found a site, FileDen, that was the only file storage site that I could make work with Project Playlist. I uploaded my 100 songs, the maximum allowed by Project Playlist in a single playlist, and it worked perfectly for two days until the bandwidth on a free FileDen account was exceeded. I have that playlist back up and running, and theoretically it should last just fine unless my reading audience exceeds five.

Here's what I did, and it's a matter of opinion whether it's because I care about music so much to go to so much effort for a blog with such a huge audience, or if it's just that I'm a nerd. I bet it's halfway between. I actually set up 20 FileDen accounts and spread the 100 mp3 files between them. This meant I had to set up 20 bogus email accounts as well. It really wasn't that much effort, just tedious; but I could multitask while files were uploading.

The harder thing was sifting 100 songs out of my music library. I think I've done a pretty good job. There's quite a variety, from Cake to Björk to Harry Connick, Jr., and even a few of my favorite tracks from movie soundtracks. I left off the Weird Al, but I tried to stay away from mainstream stuff for the most part, even mainstream stuff I like. What's the point of sharing music everyone's already heard? So I have some very unique music on there, the oddest of which is probably Portishead, who is quite well represented in the playlist. There is a bit of mainstream stuff, songs that are just too good to ignore, and if there is a song from a mainstream band such as Evanescence, it's likely not a major release (I think her "Origin" album, from before she was famous, is far better than anything she's released since). Of course I included Dark Center of the Universe, by Modest Mouse, which is where I got the name for this blog (I'm not very creative at coming up with names). I think it's as good a representation of my taste in music as can be managed in only 100 songs, even though quite a lot had to be left out.

I'd love to hear feedback on what you find interesting, what you like and don't like and why, and any music you'd like to recommend to me. In a few future posts I'll probably go through some of it and explain why I like it and maybe put some of it in context (like some of the Björk songs, which come from an excellent soundtrack to an awful movie, Dancer in the Dark). Meanwhile, I hope you hear something you enjoy, especially something new that might broaden your musical horizons.

Since some of the song names don't always appear properly in the playlist (MacOS plays nice with Icelandic names like "Dánarfregnir og Jarðarfarir," but the Windows server I uploaded them onto in FileDen doesn't), and for reference, here's a list of all the songs and the bands responsible for them:

  1. Rooster - Alice in Chains 
  2. Nutshell - Alice in Chains 
  3. Siúil A Riún - Anúna 
  4. Bittersweet (Instrumental Version) - Apocalyptica 
  5. Seemann (ft. Nina Hagen) - Apocalyptica 
  6. Faraway - Apocalyptica 
  7. Helden - Apocalyptica 
  8. Play Dead - Björk 
  9. It's in Our Hands - Björk 
  10. I've Seen It All (ft. Thom Yorke) - Björk 
  11. Scatterheart - Björk 
  12. New World (ft. Massive Attack) - Björk 
  13. All Is Full of Love - Björk 
  14. Hyperballad (ft. The Brodsky Quartet) - Björk 
  15. Það Sést Ekki Sætari Mey - Björk Guðmundsdóttir & Tríó Guðmundsdóttir
  16. Wonderful Life - Black Box Recorder 
  17. I Wonder - Blind Melon 
  18. Sheep Go to Heaven - Cake 
  19. Cool Blue Reason - Cake 
  20. Dream On - Depeche Mode 
  21. Blasphemous Rumours - Depeche Mode 
  22. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode 
  23. Lento - Elliot Goldenthal 
  24. Zeus Cannon - Elliot Goldenthal 
  25. She Moved through the Fair (ft. Sinéad O'Connor) - Elliot Goldenthal 
  26. Finale - Elliot Goldenthal 
  27. Today Has Been Ok - Emilíana Torrini 
  28. Ten to Twenty (Sneaker Pimps Cover) - Emilíana Torrini 
  29. To Be Free - Emilíana Torrini 
  30. If You Go Away - Emilíana Torrini 
  31. Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) - Emilíana Torrini 
  32. Ruby Tuesday - Emilíana Torrini 
  33. Tuna Fish (Acoustic) - Emilíana Torrini 
  34. The Ecstasy of Gold (L'Estasi del'Oro) - Ennio Morricone 
  35. The Last Day - Evanescence 
  36. Anywhere - Evanescence 
  37. Why (ft. Emilíana Torrini) - GusGus 
  38. Danny Boy - Harry Connick, Jr. 
  39. Gollum's Song (ft. Emilíana Torrini) - Howard Shore 
  40. What are You Asking Me? - James Newton Howard 
  41. I Cannot See His Color - James Newton Howard 
  42. Little Wing - The Jimi Hendrix Experience 
  43. Hurt - Johnny Cash 
  44. Woodstock - Joni Mitchell 
  45. Blue - Joni Mitchell 
  46. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin 
  47. The Man with the Golden Gun - Lulu 
  48. Angel - Massive Attack 
  49. Teardrop - Massive Attack 
  50. Dissolved Girl - Massive Attack 
  51. Group Four - Massive Attack 
  52. You Brought Me Up - Méav 
  53. New Dawn Fades (Joy Division Cover) - Moby 
  54. Dark Center of the Universe - Modest Mouse 
  55. Butterflies and Hurricanes - Muse 
  56. Ruled by Secrecy - Muse 
  57. Knights of Cydonia - Muse 
  58. Sunburn - Muse 
  59. 99 Luft Balloons - Nena 
  60. Stormy Weather - Nina Nastasia 
  61. You Know You're Right - Nirvana 
  62. Hold Your Hand (ft. Emilíana Torrini) - Paul Oakenfold 
  63. Behind Blue Eyes (Acoustic) - Pete Townshend 
  64. Too Much of Nothing - Peter, Paul and Mary 
  65. Roads - Portishead 
  66. Strangers - Portishead 
  67. Cowboys - Portishead 
  68. Western Eyes - Portishead 
  69. All Mine - Portishead 
  70. Seven Months - Portishead 
  71. Elysium - Portishead 
  72. Half Day Closing (Live) - Portishead 
  73. Plastic - Portishead 
  74. Threads - Portishead 
  75. Hunter - Portishead 
  76. Humming - Portishead 
  77. Who Wants To Live Forever - Queen 
  78. Nebel - Rammstein 
  79. Halleluja - Rammstein 
  80. Engel - Rammstein 
  81. Mein Herz Brennt - Rammstein 
  82. Pretty Little Ditty - Red Hot Chili Peppers 
  83. Aeroplane - Red Hot Chili Peppers 
  84. Mo Li Hua (The Jasmine Flower) - Rolla High School Chamber Choir 
  85. Paint it Black - The Rolling Stones 
  86. Flugufrelsarinn - Sigur Rós 
  87. Hjartad Hamast - Sigur Rós 
  88. Ný Batterí - Sigur Rós 
  89. Viðrar vel til loftárása - Sigur Rós 
  90. Starálfur - Sigur Rós 
  91. Dánarfregnir og Jarðarfarir - Sigur Rós 
  92. Gong - Sigur Rós 
  93. I Am a Rock - Simon & Garfunkel 
  94. Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins 
  95. Muzzle - The Smashing Pumpkins 
  96. Grazes - Sneaker Pimps 
  97. Half Life - Sneaker Pimps 
  98. Lightning Field - Sneaker Pimps 
  99. Farewell Transmission - Songs:  Ohia 
  100. Highway Song - System of a Down


If you ever notice a dead link (the song turns red and the playlist skips to the next one), please let me know and I'll take care of it. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have WAY too much time on your hands!